The long succulent leaves spring out of a stem holding the plant upright. The plant that is one of the first agriculture produce in this world has a long story to tell. Did you ever imagine that a single plant would be rich with so many nutrients and each part of its body could be put to greater use? I am talking about the ‘hushed’ cannabis plant that has been gaining a lot of attention in the last few years.
Would it be surprising to know that cannabis was quite a famous plant since the Stone Age? It can actually be associated with the beginning of agriculture produce and for its medicinal properties.
The texture of its leaves had deep veins tracing themselves from the stem to the tip. Likewise, the spread of cannabis plant consumption happened from the Asian continent into the other continents.
The Birth Of Cannabis Plant – China
2,737 BCE (that is a very long time ago) is the first time cannabis use was recorded. Emperor Shen Neng of China consumed it for medicinal purposes. It was initially cultivated for food and fiber purposes until it was discovered in more regions of Asia. India, Pakistan, Afghanistan and Bangladesh also started to consume it for recreational purposes. Bhaang (dried cannabis leaves) is a drink that was occasionally enjoyed by Lord Shiva, an indian deity. During this time, it’s medicinal and recreational purposes were established and it wasn’t considered a harmful drug.
When Did Cannabis Meet The Queen?
Queen Victoria of the Great Britain is said to have used CBD, which is the non psychoactive element of the cannabis plant, in the 19th century. It helped her cope with menstrual cramps and pain.
Cannabis was the found by GW Pharmaceuticals, a company based in Great Britain, in 1998 for medical trials. They wanted to draft a plan on the extraction of CBD because their founder believed that cannabis plants rich in CBD are medical marvels. The research was carried out by credible societies and scientists which showed reduced levels of anxiety and spasms in animals. This was noticed by the medical community and cannabis was further scrutinized. They eventually moved to extracting more of the CBD element from the plant and a very negligible amount of THC. The cultivation process involved more levels of CBD and lesser levels of THC.
Cannabis And USA: On-Off Relationship
– Hashish oil (or Cannabis oil) is the first to appear in California during 1967. Afghanistan introduces it in the Northern America and by 1970 The US National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML) forms. That same year the Comprehensive Drug Abuse Prevention and Control Act repealed mandatory penalties for drug offenses and marijuana was categorized separately from other narcotics.
– 1971 brings with it proof that marijuana helps in the treatment of glaucoma. The Nixon administration appointed the Shafer commission suggests the re-legalisation of cannabis use but it is ignored. The use of marijuana is also rejected by voters in California.
– A cannabinoid based medication research sets foot in 1975 which leads the U.S. Federal government to create the Investigational New Drug Compassionate Use. It allows patients to receive up to 9 pounds of cannabis from the government. There is still a resistance from FDA to brandish its approval on marijuana.
– In 1977, Carl Sagan suggests that “It would be wryly interesting if in human history the cultivation of marijuana led generally to the invention of agriculture, and thereby to civilization.”
Between 1977-1981, U.S President Carter urges for decriminalization of marijuana by abolishing the crime penalties for those caught with possession of less than an ounce.
– Jumping a couple of years later, California, the first state to ban marijuana in 1915 was also the first one to legalize it in 1996 for medical purposes. People suffering from AIDS, cancer and other serious ailments were allowed medical marijuana. The same bills were eventually passed in a bunch of American states.
– The American Office of National Drug Control Policy conducted a comprehensive research in 1997which concluded that cannabis is a safe and effective medicine. The government, however, ignored their recommendations.
– 2001-2009 President G.W Bush aggressively supported the “War on drugs” campaign which also targeted doctors and patients.
– President Obama came into the picture in 2009 and ended the 20 years old “War on drugs” stating that individual drug use is a really public health issue and should be treated as such. Under his governance, prosecutors stopped pursuing medical marijuana users and distributors who complied with the state laws.
– Colorado and Washington legalize marijuana for recreational uses in 2012 with the promise that the medical marijuana won’t be affected. This reform takes place in other states and by 2015 Senate bill 5052 in Washington state is passed which gets medical marijuana fully under the control of newly renamed Washington Liquor and Cannabis Board.
Where Are CBD And USA Today?
According to legal measures, the FDA doesn’t approve of marijuana. They classify it under Schedule 1 drugs under the Controlled Substances Act. It prohibits the production, distribution and possession of these products.
Food and beverages were introduced with infused CBD in 2017 and eventually in September 2018, FDA approved it on the basis of rare types of childhood epilepsy which allowed its prescription. Only products with less that 0.1 percent of THC are FDA Approved.
The struggle for CBD to shine through despite an association with THC has been very consistent. Cannabinoid is backed by heavy research and a lot of testimonials that claim positive results. It helps in the treatment of a lot of health issues, both mental and physical. It is a healthy option otherwise too for maintaining body weight, skincare, and haircare. There has been a start with the USA acknowledging it for what it truly is and let’s hope it helps more and more people combat their problems.
Major Ref: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6