The shift to naturally occuring CBD for sleep problems has been a powerful benefit for the older adults in America.
Old age comes with a lot of negatives but it doesn’t necessarily have to be that difficult to cope with. America accounts for more than 40 million older adults population and the focus on their health is tremendous. For most old age problems, there has been a discovery of a natural substance that could help make their lives easier.
CBD And Its Interaction With Our Body
CBD is an acronym for Cannabidiol which is one of the many cannabinoids present in the cannabis plant. It is widely popular for its medicinal properties and the newly acquired legal status brandished on it by the US government.
While there is a common misconception of associating CBD with marijuana, they are both quite different. Marijuana is a recreational purposeful product which has a high concentration of THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol) while CBD has medicinal properties with a low concentration of THC. The psychoactive component in the cannabis plant is released by THC.
The reason CBD is able to exercise its medicinal relief on the human body is because of the Endocannabinoid system. Discoveries made in 1990 reveal that all mammals have an endocannabinoid system which exists in the central as well as peripheral nervous system.
This system is responsible for the regulation of sleep, appetite, pain, inflammation, memory, mood and reproduction. It has receptors- CB1 and CB2 through which CBD interacts and helps in sending a signal across in case of irregular functioning of the ECS. So, CBD helps in the smooth functioning of the ECS.
Why Is Sleep Important For Older Adults?
To begin with, sleep is important for everyone. Whether you are a teenager chatting on your smartphone or a business professional constantly available for your clients, sleep is important for either scenarios.
Sleep is responsible for:
- Improving concentration and memory
- Maintaining your physical well being
- Regulating your metabolism
- Affecting Emotions and Social Interactions
For older adults, sleep holds a dearer meaning in their lives because of the lack of it. Their bodies are weaker and mind is wearier, adequate sleep is the only way for them to cope with everyday activities.
Cause of Sleep Problems in Older Adults
As you get older, there are major lifestyle changes that you have to accustom yourself to. You have experienced a lot of life’s difficulties by yourself but now that you have aged you start to become dependent on those around you. This causes a turbulent change in moods and activities.
The reason for older adults to lose sleep are many but the main ones being:
- Coping with the loss of a loved one
- Physical pains in the body
- Mood disorders
- Increased anxiety and restlessness
- Changing blood pressure
- Increased Blood Sugar
- Prone to Neurodegenerative diseases
Benefits Of CBD For Older Adults
CBD is a great option for anyone looking to stay fit and healthy but it is much greater option for older adults so they don’t have to resort to sleeping pills. It is natural and comes with minimal side effects which are rarely observed. Its numerous benefits can help in:
– Improving quality of sleep
– Increasing quantity of sleep
– Balancing the NREM (Non rapid eye movement) and REM Sleep
The Benefits Of CBD For Older Adults Are:
- Pain Relief – Almost every senior citizen has to unfortunately deal with pain in the muscles or bones, it comes with age. CBD has proven to be quite an effective pain relief option. Most studies have said that CBD’s interaction with the ECS helps in changing our body’s reaction to pain which leads to blocking the pain. If older adults are able to reduce the inflammation and pain intensity, they will be able to sleep better.
- Cardiovascular functions : Functioning of the heart becomes weaker as you grow older because you have less control over your blood pressure and blood sugar. Sometimes, you wake up with a really high blood sugar and other days your sugar drops at an alarming rate.. It can become difficult to keep your cardiovascular activities in control. You can only achieve it with a healthy routine and diet. Introducing CBD in your routine can help alleviate these problems and lead to better sleep.
- Anxiety and Restlessness : When you consume Full Spectrum CBD, it comes with more than just cannabidiol. Terpenes, fatty acids, flavonoids and other cannabinoids are also a part of it. Together, these components create an entourage effect which gives a therapeutic experience to your body and mind. Older adults often have to deal with sudden anxiety and restlessness, CBD would be an ideal option to reduce this and better sleep quality.
- Mood Disorders : For older adults, mood swings are common but if they aren’t looked into, they might develop into serious mental health conditions. CBD’s interaction with ECS helps it regulate mood by balancing serotonin production and communicating to adenosine receptors. This helps in relieving stress, initiating better cognitive presence and creating harmony.
- Sleep Disorders : Sleep quality is essential for older adults because it prevents neurodegenerative diseases. The body recovers with good sleep and calms the mind against futile worries. CBD helps in regulating sleep wake cycles and reduces muscle spasms which interfere with sleep. Reduction in anxiety also prevents people from overthinking at night and hence sleeping better.
- Helps with Neurodegenerative diseases : Older adults become prone to neurodegenerative diseases like alzheimer’s, parkinson’s, dementia etc. Since CBD interacts with our nervous system and helps in preventing inflammation, it can be a potential treatment for neurodegenerative diseases. There is substantial research by NCBI that suggests this too.
- Combats addiction : It can help reduce the dependence on sleeping pills for older adults. Being a natural option, the side effects are a bare minimum. Any kind of addiction that older adults might have can be reduced with CBD. Addiction affects a person’s body and mind dangerously and hence affects the sleep quality as well as quantity.
- Boosts Appetite : For older adults, appetite starts to decline which can be a problem for their daily activities. This can drastically affect their energy levels, nutrient intake and health. CBD stimulates the appetite and regulates the metabolism of the body. This way you aren’t eating more than you should either. When you eat well, you sleep well.
Recommended Use of CBD for Older Adults
Figuring out the right dosage can be a difficult task but with CBD Spray for Sleep it becomes much easier. The oral spray allows for a better distribution of CBD oil through the oral cavity, thus ensuring the most effective absorption of CBD into your body. This CBD oral spray is a fresh approach to using CBD cannabinoids. Its user-friendly packaging and simple dosing make CBD spray the perfect product for general support for the body. And, it is 100% natural.