CBD Hemp Oil could help you regularise your sleep pattern and help you sleep better.
The word “cannabis” has been around for the longest time and it has yet to record any fatal episodes or downsides. The plant’s long tapering leaves are considered to be used in the first agricultural produce. If we delve into the history of cannabis, the Chinese were the first to discover and the Hindus even mentioned it in their religious texts (Atharvaveda) where the use of cannabis has proven to be a potential treatment for quite a few ailments.
The CBD component present in the cannabis plant is the one enshrined with medicinal power and is widely used for sleep disorders and regulating sleep cycles. The miracle of CBD slowly gained momentum from Asian Countries to the rest of the world and today, as we all know it, CBD is legal in the United States.
Importance of Sleep Cycle
We have manifested a frantic work culture that has affected our lifestyle to such an extent that today, most of us take our health for granted.
In this blog post, we are discussing sleep cycles and how CBD can help. Before getting to the benefits of CBD, let us first understand the importance of the sleep cycle and why it isn’t normal to have a disturbed one.
A sleep cycle lasts for around 90 minutes and there are a total of 5 stages. There is NREM (Non-Rapid Eye Movement) Sleep that is a progression of light sleep to deep sleep in the first 4 stages. There isn’t much muscle activity during this time but our muscles are able to function.
Then there is REM (Rapid Eye Movement) Sleep which is where dreaming takes place. Our eyes move top-down and sides during this stage i.e stage 5. Even though the eyes are able to move, our muscles are locked in this stage so we don’t act out our dreams.
These stages keep shifting and there are around 2-3 sleep cycles that should be ideally completed. NREM and REM sleep stages are affected by the time of sleeping (day or night) and it is very important to get enough sleep because it:
- Helps you maintain your emotional and cognitive well being
- Improves concentration and memory
- Maintains physical well being
- Reduces risk of heart disease and stroke
- Helps avoid depression
What Affects Sleep Cycle
Every function in our body is regulated by certain hormones secreted in our brain. Serotonin is a chief hormone that is responsible for the production of cortisol (stress hormone) and melatonin (sleep hormone).
Melatonin production is usually higher as the day comes to an end which induces sleep and maintains your sleep-wake cycle of night and day. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that is responsible for regulating your sleep, mood, concentration etc.
When there is dysfunction in the production of serotonin and consecutively melatonin, it means there are factors which are affecting your sleep.
Factors affecting your sleep cycle:
- Low Vitamin D and sunlight exposure because the sun is a natural component in directing the body to sleep by activating melatonin.
- Work or Family stress keeps you up at night
- Alcohol and substance use interferes with circadian rhythms that affect the body’s natural cycle.
- Exposure to blue light (laptop or phone) before sleeping activates your brain into thinking
- Anxiety or Depression makes you uneasy during the night because the body and mind are in a negative thought pattern.
- Unhealthy food consumption leads to unwanted energy at night
There are many more reasons that affect your sleep pattern and while there are over the counter drugs available, you could try a natural source to induce good sleep- CBD.
How Does CBD Hemp Oil Help
CBD Hemp Oil interacts with the body through the endocannabinoid system that is present in our body. It is responsible for activating serotonin production and CBD Hemp Oil interacts with its receptors to get the process going.
The reason it works well for sleep cycle is:
- Due to serotonin production, melatonin production is also regulated.
- Anxiety and Stress are put to ease because of the therapeutic effect CBD Hemp Oil exerts.
- It reduces pain by changing the body’s reception of pain and you can sleep peacefully.
- It helps with neurodegenerative diseases that affect NREM and REM Sleep Cycle.
- CBD Hemp Oil increases metabolism and appetite which puts together the body cycle.
You can read more- How does CBD help with Sleep Disorders
How To Use CBD Hemp Oil For Sleep
Most users have recommended using the oil by placing drops under the tongue and then swallowing. This is one of the most effective methods to take CBD Hemp Oil but you could try other methods too, such as CBD Sleep Spray or Vape.
Before you consume CBD, it is very important to ascertain the exact dosage because it differs from person to person. You must consider your tolerance to CBD, concentration of CBD in the product and BMI before you decide on a dosage.
The best way would be to start with the smallest dosage and slowly increase to see the effect.
Even the NCBI has suggested CBD does not have any acute side effects.
Learn more- What is CBD Oil?
CBD Hemp Oil for sleep cycle can be an effective option and the person who is willing to prioritize sleep has already half won the sleep battle. The key to solving a problem is acknowledging there is one. So, don’t take your sleep cycle for granted and with CBD Hemp Oil, stay healthy.